Friday, April 1, 2011

Our Lil Place

We, I think like so many people, fell on some hard times and have been living with my in-laws for the past year and half. I am so grateful for the home they offered to us in our desperate time of need and for all they have done to help us. But it hasn’t been without its challenges! Four kids in a two bedroom basement was not easy! But it taught us what we really needed compared to what we wanted and to surround our life with things we cherish and love.


So when we were able to move out and get a place of our own, I was thrilled!!!!! Still am actually, we have been living in our lil 3 bedroom rental condo for almost a month now and every day I just smile and grin and smile and grin. It was such a relief to find a place even if the navy blue, with tan and green diamonds carpet is straight out of the Marriot Hotel (really it is, the landlord got a great deal on this carpet, which I promptly hated until my youngest child spilled ketchup all over it and when I wiped it up nothing was stained).

Isn't it pretty, and yes friends, that is a peice of lint but those are easy to vacuum up compared to ketchup stains.
I love to come into a space and make it my own, I do not shy away from paint color at all. I am a woman who had a pumpkin orange wall IN my living room, a green apple master bedroom, mud brown nursery, vintage orange bedroom, red kitchen ok ok I think you get the gist….but I could not paint here EEEEEEEEK and the walls are painted…….wait for it……tannish peach! UGH!!!

The white "valance" promptly came down as my curtains went up!

Or so I thought….I have a wide variety of curtains all of which matched my growing need for color in each and every room I had in our old place. So, much to the chagrin of my mother who looked at me and said “that doesn’t even come close to matching the carpet” I hung up my tan sheer curtains with multi-hued circles in the living room, framing them (for now) with my velvet khaki drapes.


Daytime
Nighttime
 That little step made my tannish peach (still UGH!) more brown. Whew!!!! I can’t tell you the relief I felt walking into that room and feeling calm and relaxed instead of anxiety over a horrible 80’s flashback. Side note: Please ignore the mess we are still unpacking and this was taken from the playroom side of the living room.

I know this may be, for some, a little too contrasting. And 2 years ago I probably would have agreed with you. But living almost two years in a space that wasn't filled with a "few of my favorite things" made me appreciate all my gorgeous, precious, beautiful things stuff as I unpacked.  This being our own little place in the world, I wanted to surround myself with the things I love, so diamond carpet and circle sheers are ok in my book.

Our next little project for that room is to acquire seating. And I can't wait to show you what I found!!

3 comments:

Amaya said...

Totally love your curtains!!!!

Teri said...

Thank you :) they are fun! And thanks for the comment! My first one ever:)

Teri said...

Just so you know I changed the webaddress to match the blog name, so instead of Turkspassion it is now mudpiesandstrawberryshortcake :) have a great day