Sunday, January 29, 2012

Valentine's Day Pop Art Print

Does anyone love decorating for "love day" as much as I do? The bright reds and pinks fill my home with warmth of the upcoming spring and though it isn't may favorite holiday, I love to decorate for it. I drape hearts and pink over my entire bookcase with words of 'love' and 'xo's' where ever I can reach. But I had one bare wall...coming up my stair from the entry way that needed attention. So I came up with this...
This little DIY project cost a total of $6.50. That's it! and it's so easy to construct. Just head to your local superstore and pick up an 11x14 frame with 8x10 mat, a package of tissue paper and a gift bag with a print that will fit inside the 8x10 opening and scrapbook paper.


Disassemble the frame and glue one sheet of tissue paper to mat. I just used a regular glue stick so I wouldn't have any big glue clumps. Make sure you glue all over the mat so you don't get any air  pockets and when you start sticking the paper down go slowly so you don't get any wrinkles (I did but the print camouflages the wrinkles so I didn't worry about it.)

Next punch a hole through the middle of the tissue paper into the 8x10 opening and cut to each corner, essentially creating an 'X'.

Then you fold them to the back side of the mat and glue down. Cut off any excess.

Next take your sheet of scrapbook paper and glue to the back of the mat. I will pull this mat out after Vday and replace with the next holiday so by gluing it all together it will be easier to store.

Then cut the print off the gift bag. This doesn't have to be exact but get as close as you can. Glue your print to the scrapbook paper and let dry for a few minutes. Reglue anything that you need to. After this picture I actually outlined the heart with the 'I' in it so it stood out more.

Finally just assemble the mat and frame back together and hang your new graphic pop art. I love the pop of holiday flair this adds to my wall as well as seeing it when I come up the stairs. Just a fun quick way to get a unique and whimsical decoration. Can you just imagine the possibilities?

No comments: