Thursday, May 26, 2011

Summer Fun!!! Really it can be!

"I'm bored!!", "Mom, there is nothing to do!!!", Do these statements fill you with dread? Are you already clearing out your floor area in one or more closets so you can escape the whine of summer? LOL I hear ya, I am really looking forward to the kids being home but I don't want to hear these statements! I have looked around the blog world and come up with several "I'm bored!" busters. Now I know I should really give credit where credit is due on these but SO many bloggers had the same idea I wouldn't know where it came from originally. But I am not taking sole credit, which I hope is enough.




1. Bored Jar

This is a super cute idea, all you need is a mason jar, peanut butter container, glass vase, shoe box or tin can, really it doesn't matter! Just something to hold folded strips of paper. Here is a pic of what we’re using.



I chose four different colors of paper for each of my children. Then I will cut them into strips and sit down with my kiddos tonight and write down things on the strips that each of my kids like to do during the summer, minus tv, texting, computer, and game systems. I have already decided that Mom (me) will fill out a whole page myself of things that they probably won't think of like service projects, baking items, sibling time, and craft projects.

Then when the inevitable "I'm Bored" rings loud and clear, we will pull out the jar and said whiner child will pull out their color of strips and see what adventure they can begin. My only rule is they have to give the idea on the strip of paper a try because if it's followed up with "That doesn't sound fun" or "That sounds boring" I have a chore list I can pull from.

Here is a few I expect to hear tonight: "run through the sprinklers", "ride my bike around the block", "Eat a popsicle", "Call a friend". Keep it simple and fun, quick ideas that you won't have to spend an hour getting together.



2. Day Trip Idea List/Box

I found two versions of this but the same results for each. One is more unplanned while the other is more a reminder. The list version is simply this, get a sheet of paper, sit down as a family, and think of fun local activities you can do together. For example: Visit Library, Go to a National Park, Go to your local pool, Go on a car ride, Visit local museums... Just put them all down on paper and hang it up somewhere you can grab it, see it, or access quickly. This is a fun way to spend a family day together without the cost of a full vacation.

The box idea is similar to the bored jar. Write down on paper strips day trip ideas and on those days, pull one out of the box and go for it. This one is unplanned and kind of crazy but fun none the less.



3. Let's Do Summer List

I love this one. This is for the big things we want to do during the summer. Grab a sheet of paper, write down all your big plans for the summer, even some small day trips that take a lot of prep, and hang it on your fridge, bulletin board or back door. For example: Camping trip, Family Reunions, Trip to Yellowstone, Fishing up the canyon, etc. Then when you get something accomplished you cross it off the list. Fun way to see all that you have planned for summer, as well as a reminder of things to plan around in your more day to day activities.



4. Chore Chart.

I know, I know! This one is not so fun and happy but really practical, and if you don't have one and don't need it just skip to number 5. This is a life saver for me. I have an erasable whiteboard calendar. All my kids have chores to do for the day and as children always say "I forgot" this is a reminder for them as well as a reference for me. Instead of thinking "ok who did dishwasher duty yesterday?" I can look at the chart and say "you do". Keep your sanity and clear your mind for more important things like brownies, cookies, and cakes.



5. Craft Box

This is probably the one I am most looking forward to putting together. Here is a suggested list of items needed.

a. Box, Basket, Drawer, Bin, RubberMaid Container or whatever you have handy to store kid friendly items.

b. Old socks, googly eyes, yarn, card stock, stickers, stencils, clay, playdoh, tissue paper, pony beads, foam sheets, foam cut outs, wood shapes, $1 picture frames and/or anything else you find you want to craft with.

c. Now these you can put in your craft bin if you feel your kids can have all access to it. At my house this will go in a separate container the 16 and 11 year olds can access but the 6 and 5 year olds have to ask for. Low temp glue gun, craft paint, shaped scissors, modge podge, balloons, Elmer’s glue, wire, fishing line, glitter and any other crafty items.

If this list doesn't inspire some fun craftiness going on I don't know what will. This bin will be great for the "I'm Bored" jar as well as an easy idea for entertaining for hours.



Hope this list of things helps your summer days go by with a lot of family fun, family togetherness and the all important, keeping of sanity. Enjoy!

No comments: