Monday, April 18, 2011

Master Bath Towel Bar or is it.....

After my post last week I found a few more of my favorite things but I thought instead of doing another 5-6 to 8-10 things in one blog I would showcase by room. So from here on out every Monday (unless it’s a holiday, or I’m just having a lazy day) I will post a favorite thing. I am so excited to share with you stuff from my master bath today.

I have been searching online as well as in local retail stores for a 30+ inch towel bar for my bathroom. I hate scrunching up towels to fit on a lil 16 or 24 inch bar. I like big towels so downsizing to smaller bath towels was not an option. I don’t like to hang towels two deep because they don’t dry and tend to get a musty smell to them. And let’s face it, bathrooms are not a place we need to add another smell! I thought about hanging two 16 inch bars in my bathroom but they would have to stagger and well in my everything must be equal, even, or in sets of threes world, I just couldn’t do it. My husband suggested we just do hooks, two hooks, to hold up my towels, on my wall…..can you tell I wasn’t excited? So I just threw up my hands and started saving for my $50 option online.
Dottingham-36-inch-Towel-Bar from Overstock


Now I know somewhere out in blog world is a person who had to have thought of this first but seriously I felt like light bulbs all over in my brain were switching on while I was hanging curtains in my boys room. I saw their black curtain rod with matte silver finials and thought this would look really good in my bathroom…..DING! DING! DING! I had never seen this, thought of this, or heard of this before….but all of a sudden the $20 I had in my “Towel Bar Fund” jar was screaming at me to spend….on a $6 curtain rod!!!! Shopping trip!

Quick trip to the store and a 36-48 inch curtain rod bought. The glorious thing about this curtain rod towel bar, it’s adjustable to fit into the studs of the wall. One side (closest) to the shower is in wall anchors, but my towel bar would have had to do the same thing. I adjusted the curtain rod wider to secure the other bracket (closest to the door) into a stud in the wall. And for less than $6 I have a 42 inch towel bar. If I find the middle sags (so far it hasn’t at all) I could hang the 3rd bracket that came with the rod just for stability. Just think of the endless possibilities!!! Just take a minute with me to marvel in the sheer genius and frugal idea this is….ok I have money to spend back to shopping.

I had $13 left to spend and I needed jars to put my brushes, curling iron, combs, toothbrush, toothpaste, husband’s razor and hubby’s toothbrush/toothpaste in. So I went with  A Bowl of Lemons style and bought a 15 inch black plant pot for me. I found a great deal on ceramic planters at Smith's Food and Drug and got this one with my remaining $13. I have a plastic cup (secured with duct tape inside the jar) that keeps the toothbrush and toothpaste together. The hair brushes rest on the other side and the toothbrush stays put.

My husband informed me after I bought this jar that it was too big for what he needed so I went on a hunt for a smaller planter….to no luck what so ever. If I wanted red, green, copper, tan or floral prints I could take my pick but black…in anything other than plastic no luck. So I was back to square one. What to do? What to do? I didn’t have to worry long because he actually came up with his own solution. He found a black utensil pot for $5 in the kitchen section at a local retail store. It looks great, not too matchy matchy, and functions perfectly! I love it! And he loves that for $25 I got a towel bar and pots. 


I still marvel at my towel bar/curtain rod epiphany. What do you think? Will you change out your towel bar for a curtain rod?


No comments: