Monday, April 11, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things……



Now if you aren’t too busy dancing around in a circle with pictures of mountain tops in your head let me show what gets me smiling, with a lil groovin today.



If you read my earlier post about seating for my living room you know I have something fun in store and for now I will show you my most favoritest thing ever about my new. So WALLAH……..


The side is not too shabby but it’s not the color or the leather, both of which are great, that makes this one of my favorite things. It is the fact that no toys, wrappers/papers or half-eaten food will find its way under this baby. I LOOOOOOVE that! I sometimes think my kids are trying to create a compost pile beneath the dark recesses of the furniture but now they will have to move their inner conservationist plans elsewhere. UGH I should go look under their beds! I am working on a step by step blog about how my sweet, wonderful, charming, handsome, handy husband did this wonderful riser on our new couch but until then I hope you will join in my giddiness over no more down on my hands and knees fishing out the ewwy grossness that my children leave behind.

My next random pic of something I love is…

Now I hope you realize by now into my 3 posts that I do not set up a photo. I think “oh I should show this on blog”, pick up my phone and take a pic. So during laundry day last Tuesday I snapped this pic as I folded towels on my bed, which is another happy thing because towels are the LAST load! Woohoo!!!
I also am not a master at music, but I am slowly teaching myself how to play the guitar. My husband bought me the blue one for my birthday 2 years ago and inheriting the electric from my dad and my Thing 1 learning to play in school, we have assembled a lil collection. I never thought that a 2x4 placed on my wall with tool hooks could make a girl so happy but it works! More kudos to the hubby who I mentioned was handsome and very handy. Now here is a dare, if you ever wanted to play the guitar, go borrow, beg or buy one and become enthusiastically happy after learning to play `Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’. Maybe that just works for me but I am thrilled none the less!


This one just fills me with such glee :D big grin and all….

My motto when entering a store where fabric is sold in yards, remnants or anyway really is; “A Girl Can Never Have Too Much Fabric!” Who knows what craft project, cute outfit, or fun bag needs to be made. So I get to have a whole closet where my fabric is lined up in neat little rows. Sorted by whatever makes sense to me and ready for any craft emergency I may have. I randomly open these doors just to touch and smile…Ahhhh it’s just so PRETTY!



When you get the chance to grab a really old frame, nothing a picture you own will fill mind you, but just to have. Grab it, try something trendy in it and see if you love it as much as I do mine.
My grandmother gave me this frame almost a decade ago, and it has sat empty on my fire place mantle for 7 of those 10 yrs. Our new place does not have a fireplace mantle so I wondered, thought, and wondered and thought, panicked a little, and came up with this idea. I am what my husband refers to as a pack rat, I save all sorts of craft supplies for a “rainy day”. Well baby is was storming in this house 3 weeks ago!! I bought 8.5x11 sheets of metal 25 cents each years and years and years ago wow I sound old. I also purchased 5x7 metal sheets for a dime a piece. Put those two sizes together with some actual metal duct tape and you have an amazing magnet board. It is quite simple; this frame has a 15x19 opening. I laid out the 8.5x11 sheets inside the opening filling in the gaps with the 5x7 sheets and then taped it all together with the very sticky, really strong metal duct tape. They overlapped quite a bit but I didn’t care. I figured it added character, kind of like my every growing wrinkle problem but with more sparkle. I then taped it to the frame and hung it on the wall. Easy! My friends have sent me some postcards from around the world, places I want to see, and I have kept them. This is a great way for me to display them. I love it!



Everyone needs a home office space, with the same disclaimer as above, you get what you see, so this is mine!
I love unfinished wood. It slowly builds a patina with usage over time that is just so beautiful. So when it came to picking out shelves I went with more unfinished wood. These are 1x8 pine boards mounted on the wall with inexpensive white L brackets. I love how they alternate and overlap in the middle. It gives me enough room for all my fabulous stuff, big and small. They aren’t filled yet but give me time. My actual desk is a premade countertop from my local hardware store, mounted to the wall with some very heavy duty L brackets. All brackets are mounted to studs! I finished off the end with two wood filing cabinets stacked on top of each other. They are braced together with screws from the back and then to the wall. It is my perfect version of a home office! No doors required.

How many of you feel like when your kids get home you get an avalanche of papers? I do, as well as trying to keep track of homework packets for the week, reading charts and oh so much more!! Well here is my favorite solution...

I bought these bags years ago at The Gap (see I am just reinforcing my pack rat status) but any messenger bags will do. I am planning this as a blog in the next couple of weeks so please come back if you want step by step details. Just please note that the PVC pipe will be spray painted either a Brushed Steel or Black when Mother Nature decides to give me warmer weather to spray paint. Until then my papers will be organized, all be it in an ugly but fabulous fashion!!



Finally (ok well at least for today) here is my handy solution for organizing hair bows/flowers/barretts whatever us your girls are into…I think I am establishing that I love an organized home, hmmm that may lead to another blog….

I just put a flat push pin in white ribbon and tacked it to the top and bottom of the door. (yes on top of the door, it is soft enough that the pins go in easy, and they hold great.) Three rows later and I have a place to store these hair necessities. I love this quick and easy way to store these because of how easy it is to just browse without dumping out a container.



Whew I am now going to run around my house touch, gawk at, and just plain enjoy these few things I shared with you. Hope you have fun with whatever inspiration you found here today and until next week!
Teri

2 comments:

Amy Bohrer said...

You have always been so good at that! Way to go, I love it all!

Teri said...

Thanks Amy :) Hope you and your family are doing well!