Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mini Mudroom

It’s Wednesday, I didn’t do a favorite thing on Monday. I guess I’m fired. But I will say, I did give myself the disclosure of “lazy day” in my original post. I just didn’t see it happening so soon. Oh well, I got some great couch time in and well I couldn’t think of anything truly inspiring, or at least interesting…until this morning.


It is something so simple, and so easy I thought hey why not share. So here it is….


a corner version of a mud room…simple right! If some of you are lucky enough to have a dedicated mudroom all I have to say is LUCKY!!!! But really I love my simple little place in my kitchen/office/dining room/mudroom.
More unfinished wood  but I love it so. My father in law made this coat rack for me when we lived in his home and was generous enough to let me take it with me when we moved. It’s a 1”x6” pine board, cut 4’ in length and then 4 basic coat hooks screwed into the board in even intervals. Then we predrilled 2 holes so the screws that secure it to the studs in the wall won’t split the wood and then drilled larger holes about a ¼ inch in so the screws can sink into the wood to vanish,aka countersink.The other coat rack, same idea, 1”x3”, cut 2’ long, unroutered, 4 unmatching hooks (can you tell I put this one together BUT they were out of silver hooks with 3 prongs and I am not a patient gal) and secured to the wall in the same manner. Mini mudoom done! Well after I hung a white board (oops my handy sexy man hung it) and a key ring holder. Now mudroom done! OH and a rug put under the rack to hold shoes and a nicer shoe rack put under my coat rack for shoes….WALLAH! Mini mudroom done!!! (let me double check…yup done!)


I write on the whiteboard things for my kids and husband to know, fun motivational sayings, chore extras and appointments. Here are a few more ideas…

Better Homes & Garden

And here is a great little article from This Old House on making a mini mudroom anywhere..
This Old House
 
If you feel like your kitchen table is your new coat and backpack table, maybe just maybe it’s time to hang a few hooks in a plain, unused corner of your kitchen. Don’t limit yourself to a coat closet, you may find that it makes a better craft closet (like mine did) anyway.

1 comment:

KaSs MiLeS said...

We have coat racks everywhere, but somehow our kitchen floor Is always covered in jackets.