Monday, September 26, 2011

Working out....again

I don't know about you but I seem to get on these kicks to start living healthy, eating right, exercising, giving up pop, on and on and on.....the only problem is I have never really stuck to them. I go along for a few months have some sort of set back and then cave on the exercise part. Or I just simply feel like I deserve a reward for working so hard and buy a brownie mix. And then caves the diet part...... but for the past few months I have been trying to change some habits....to more healthy ones.....and it's going ok. Here was my inspiration...

One of the those sayings that really got me thinking.....was it truly worth the harder road. Was I going to be happier in the long run if I chose a healthier lifestyle, and the big slap across the face moment was, well I wasn't rolling in the happiness now. Oh I love my man, my kids, pretty much where we are now, but getting up every morning and trying to find "flattering" clothes was a horrible slump in self esteem. Playing outside with the kids was not easy or long term. And then my youngest came home from Kindergarten and said Mommy I want to sit on the couch just like you. Now I know he meant, right then, right now, but it hit me, what am I teaching my kids about getting out and enjoying life. You know those commercials where the young adult kid is sitting on the computer telling you how worried they are about Mom and Dad now that they are gone from home. How Mom and Dad need to live life and this child of theirs was going to tell them how. All the while, Mom and Dad are getting up and out of the house, away from the tv, and off the computer and really living! Yeah that's what I want.
I decided that I was not going to cut sugar, I was not going to cut out pop, I was going with moderation. And I have to say, it's going okay. I am a diet dew junkie, yup it's true, but I don't drink a 2 ltr a day anymore. I rarely have dessert and if I do I keep my portions low. I went out to dinner last weekend and ordered my favorite dessert and didn't finish it. Yeah! As far as exercise goes, I am walking and pilating..(not a word but I made it work) and so far that is enough for me. One thing I tell myself every. single. day. is this....I will reach the full potential of me today. I have a tendency to get obsessed with one thing or another, so this is different for me. I eat healthier by truly listening to my body and asking myself a lot if this is because I'm hungry or because I'm bored. I ate a lot out of boredom.....I also take time to prep meals, eating a microwave dinner is easy but eating a salad is hard. (At home) because opening a box is a lot easier than cutting up 10 veggies. So now when I get my salad ready I make enough for another day. It works, took some training, but it works.
I have also been trying to make more meals from scratch for my family. It's going ok, I know what is going into their food now, and I can omit or substitute things that are truly unnecessary or fattening, and add more vegetables. A better all around meal.
Another lifestyle change is finding a support group, that helps promote healthy living not a fad diet, I love my group and the inspiration they give me every.single.day

So I am curious out there in blog land, What do you do? and if you do nothing really, Who's with me?

No comments: