Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mmmmm that Smells like Christmas-Day Ten

I love this ornament. Really simple, really quick and lots of pop! It's a "cookie" ornament. You know those ornament stars that we seem to get home from our kids during the holidays that look like a cookie? I tracked down a recipe and thought I would try it.  I will do this one over and over again in the Christmas' to come. It has the feel of sugar cookies when you are cutting it out but you don't get the sugar high. It's also cinnamon and I love the smell of cinnamon.

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups cinnamon (a lot I know but so worth it!)
2 cups applesauce
1 cup flour

Mix cinnamon and applesauce in medium bowl. Add flour and knead until no white shows. (this did not take long at all, one suggestion, spray cooking spray on your hands, or coat with a lil butter because it does get sticky). Roll out on a cinnamon coated surface to 1/8-1/4 inch. (I used a big plastic table cloth and did it right on my table. That way my kids could circle the dough and punch out the shapes and all I would have to do is roll up the tablecloth for easy clean up). Dip cookie cutters in cinnamon and cut out shapes. Once shapes are cut out, take a straw and punch a hole through the top of the "cookie". Dry on wax paper for 48 hours. (I dried it on cookie sheets over night and then used cooling racks, worked great) Store in a plastic bag to keep cinnamon smell.

And that is it! Take a look at our pictures and see the fun shapes we used.


















Once they were all dry, I tied red ribbon through the hole and hung them from our tree. The smell of cinnamon mixed with the smell of evergreen  smells like Christmas to me. Here is how they look on our tree:

You could also decorate them with decorator paste, but I like the simplicity of these "old fashioned" ornaments. Only 2 days left!!! I can't wait to show you the star.

No comments: